I have many things to be grateful for 2018 including having bought my own land and having built a house on that land in the same year. It’s not yet as beautiful as I want it to be but it’s a big deal for now and I’m grateful for the freedom this has given me. In fact, I moved from a rental house in Kigali last month and am now living in a suburb of Shyorongi in the northern province; close to Kigali. It’s still fresh but it feels good.
So here comes 2019. For the first time in my life, I’m thinking of one thing that I should focus on this year. Having 2 thoughts in mind for the past few months (Building my brand as an environmentalist or building my life as a healthy person), this year, I’m convinced to focus more on the brand. Personally and professionally, I want to take Greenny to the next level. How I do this will depend on many aspects and costs. But I want to play around with this and see what could come out of it by the end of the year. Broadly, my plan this year is to:
- Create environmental sustainability models for existing and new companies. Big and small
- Advocate for environmental conservation as a means to poverty reduction, healthy lives and overall peace of mind
- Establish a travel gear shop. This will be an online store or a physical shop
- Brand Greenny as one of the leading environmental advertising platforms for other conservation organizations or initiatives
- Organize 1 or 2 environmental group retreats; for example a 2 day-long hiking or a week-long conversation on conservation
- Have a daily post on the website explaining and marketing all the above and more
- Practice sustainability as an individual; i.e. to do what I just ask others to do.
Among all those goals, as tough as they may seem, I want to focus on practicing sustainability as a role model for other people. I’ve found out that I usually preach things that I can’t do myself and would like to avoid that this year. Whether I succeed or not will depend on the courage I’ll invest in this but also on the support that I’ll get from you, my readers. I know it will be a tough year especially that it’s closest to 2020, the year that will bring us to the end of another decade. but it’s okay. We’ll be fine.
Thank you for being a supporter and Happy New Year of 2019.